Upstream processing (USP) refers to the part of a process in biotechnology that is geared towards cell cultivation. In the process, a production strain is created and cultivated to produce specific molecules. This is how active ingredients, antibodies, enzymes and more are created, which are needed, among others, in the pharmaceutical industry.
What happens during upstream processing?
Biotechnology briefly explained
Upstream processing is a fermentation process in several steps:
- Preparation: Microorganisms are placed on a nutrient medium: sugars, amino acids and fats, for example, serve as a good basis for cells to multiply.
- Cell culture: The organisms divide until the desired density is achieved. Between the different steps, the cells are counted repeatedly – by automated systems and/or stains.
- Cell harvest: The cells are separated from the culture with the aid of centrifuges
In the process, the liquids pass through several phases in the bioreactor: starting with millilitre quantities of cell colonies up to thousands of litres in the fermenter. This is how active ingredients for various medicinal products are created, for example:
- Hormone therapies
- Antibody therapies
- and much more
Upstream processing with bagtainer®: integrating biotechnology containers into processes
Upstream processing is often realised with Single-Use systems – including Single-Use Bags in which bulk liquids are stored, transported and integrated into said systems. Their advantage lies in the fact that they are already sterile upon delivery. However, they require adequate protection, in part due to their sensitivity – protection which the bagtainer® provide, as the stainless steel containers have been specially created for this purpose.
Your advantage when you integrate bagtainer® into your upstream processes:
- Custom orders: We customise your bagtainer® just the way you need it. This means that the ports for Single-Use hoses and the like can also be placed in the way that best suits your installation.
- Sterility: Thanks to the Single-Use Bags, the risk of contamination is significantly reduced. The bagtainer® themselves are manufactured in a way that makes sterile cleaning as easy as possible.
- Efficiency: Thanks to the versatility offered by bagtainer®, you can cover all your storage, transport and plant integration needs with our range.